I don’t like doing rumor posts because I feel bad when I tell you something and it turns out not to be true. However, there are so many rumors out there and so many people are asking me about the next Surface model that I almost feel that I have to do a Surface Pro 4 rumor post.
OK, let me start with this…, read on…
Latest Surface Pro 4 Rumors as of December 11th, 2014
Let’s start with the Surface Pro 4 rumors since a lot of people seem to be anticipating the release of this (hopefully) awesome new model.
1) The Surface Pro 4 will come with Windows 10: This one is so pervasive that it’s almost a guarantee as opposed to a rumor. Pretty much every single source out there is saying that the Surface Pro 4 will come with Windows 10 out of the gate.
It makes sense to me that this would be the case. We already have the Windows 10 Technical Preview so we know Windows 10 is coming, so why wouldn’t they time the release of the Surface Pro 4 to coincide?
2) The Surface Pro 4 will come out mid 2015: This goes almost hand-in-hand with the first rumor. Windows 10 is expected to be available in in early 2015 so if the first rumor is true then this one almost has to be, right?
3) The Surface Pro 4 will come in multiple sizes: Some folks are speculating that there will be a Surface Mini version with an 8″ or 10.1″ screen along with a “normal” Surface pro 4 with a 12″ and some folks are saying that Microsoft might even go larger with a 13″ or 14″ screen.
4) Surface Pro 3 accessories will be compatible with the Surface Pro 4: This one was verified by Microsoft in this statement where they said (among other things) the following:
“… But now that we have begun to establish our place in the market, we are pleased to share that the following Surface Pro 3 accessories are designed with our product roadmap in mind and will be compatible with the next generation of the “Pro” line of Surface:
- Today’s Surface Pro 3 Type Covers
- Our “infrastructure” accessories such as our power adapter, Ethernet adapter, and more
- The Surface Pro 3 Docking Station
This commitment helps validate an investment in Surface Pro 3 and solidifies Microsoft’s overall commitment to the continued growth of the Surface brand….”
Of course, if this is true, then the rumors about even larger screens are probably not. Unless, of course, Microsoft releases a Mini, Normal, and Maxi version of the Surface Pro 4.
Unlikely, IMHO but what do I know?
5) The Surface Mini version could be announced this month: This one is bold. The folks over at GforGames are quoting a Chinese source saying that the Surface Mini may be announced this month.Their guess comes from a single line of text on the source site that translates as “Microsoft Surface mini will be unveiled at the fastest before Christmas“.
I think it’s a bit flimsy but, you can make your own call on that. You can find their original source web site here.
So, you’re now up to speed on the latest Microsoft Surface rumors. If you’ve been holding off on buying a Surface because you don’t want to get a Surface Pro 3 just before the Surface Pro 4 is released, you might not have to wait too much longer.