PS4 (PlayStation 4), the successor to the PS3 (PlayStation 3), is home video game console from Sony Computer Entertainment. Though PS4 is developed as game console, many people use it to watch movies and videos. PS4 supports Blu-ray playback (including 3D) and DVD playback. However, these are some limitations to play video formats with this PS4/3 Player and 2016 Oscars WMV is not supported by the two game consoles. Therefore if you try to import downloaded 2016 Oscars WMV files into PS4/PS3 for easy playback, you will definitely get stuck! If you are in such issue, you are luckily right here!
Let’s show you a quick solution to help you fix the PS4/PS3 won’t play 2016 Oscars WMV issue.
Tips for Sony PlayStation 4/3 users: DVD to PS4 | Blu-ray to PS4| iTunes to PS4 | Video_TS to PS4…
Can PS4 Play WMV? Does PS4 Play WMV? – PS4/3 Supported file formats
In fact, from Sony PlayStation official website we can know that MP4 video format is the best video format supported by Sony PlayStation(No matter PS4 or PS3). WMV is not supported yet, but this feature was added later on in the PS3’s lifecycle as there is a license issue. In theory, there should be no problem to play WMV in PS4/PS3. So in order to successfully play WMV video files on PS4/PS3, the optimal choice is to convert WMV to PS4/PS3 recognized formats MP4. To finish the task easily and quickly, here you are strongly recommend to try the Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate. Here is review.
The program is a comprehensive tool that helps you to convert video files (like MKV, MOV, VOB, WMV, etc.) into the specific video formats that are playable on the PS3, PS4, iPad, iPhone, Android, Xbox, Samsung TV and many more. It can meet your need of converting WMV videos to PS3/PS4 with original quality. With it, you can finish the task with only three steps. Before converting, you can crop, trim, add watermark or subtitles to the video if you want. If you’re using a Mac, simple turn to the iMedia Converter for Mac (including El Capitan), which has the same function as the Windows version. Here is the detailed guide on how to convert 2016 Oscars WMV to a fully compatible format with PS3/PS4.
How to Convert 2016 Oscars WMV Videos to PS3/PS4 Compatible Format
Free Download and trail:
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-video-converter-ultimate/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-75938564.html
Step 1. Import 2016 Oscars Downloaded WMV files
On the program click on “File” button to upload your .wmv files. Alternatively, you can directly drag and drop your WMV videos to the program. If you have several video files, and wanna combine/merge WMV video files for PS4/3, you just need to tick off the “Merge into one” box.
Step 2. Select the output format
Click on the dropdown menu of “Format” and then move your pointer to “PSP/PS3”. From the sub-list, the “PS3 Video(480P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)”, “PS3 Video(720P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)”, “PS3 Video(1080P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)” are all the friendly formats for both PS3 and PS4. Learn>> PS3 supported formats.
Tip: If the default video/parameters can’t meet your needs, just click Settings icon to adjust the video codec, bitrate, frame rate, audio sample rate, etc to get a decent video as you want. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.
Step 3. Begin the conversion
Now click on “Convert” button and your 2016 Oscars WMV will be converted to PS3/PS4 supported formats. Learn >How to use PS4 as a Media Streamer without DLNA?.
Note: Once you got the converted 2016 Oscars WMV videos ready to be added to PS3 or PS4, you can refer to the different ways to put videos to PS3/PS4.
A. For adding videos to PS3, easy as pie. If you’re using a USB flash or hard disc or an SD or CF card, just dump all of your videos into a folder named VIDEO on the root of the drive and they’ll show up automatically.
B. Currently there are many topics about how to play videos on PS4. As most guys complained, the PS4 does not support external HDD, and you cannot view movies on PS4 through USB as well. Luckily, there is a workaround for you to get videos from PC to PS4. You can just stream your video files to PS4 from PC via Plex：
1. Download Plex Media Server from https://my.plexapp.com/downloads and set up your media before signing into Plex through the Settings.
2. Then, you navigate to https://my.plexapp.com/ on your PS4 through the browser and sign-in.
3. Head to your media server and voila. You have access to all your DLNA media.
Addtional Tips: Unfortunately the latter is not possible with the PS4 (yet!), but you can use a USB stick to play your favourite videos, and here’s how.
- Your USB stick needs to be in FAT32 or exFAT (the latter didn’t work for me, and NTFS definitely won’t work). This means that 4GB+ files may be an issue so cut them down to size if need be.
- Windows 7/8 don’t make it easy to format your drives to FAT32, so you will have to download a third party piece of software here: FAT32Format
- FAT32Format will allow you to format the drive very quickly to FAT32.
- If this still doesn’t work, you may have to go for a full format.
- Go to Start Menu -> Type CMD in Search Programs and Files, right-click to run as admin [Windows 7]
- Right-click Start button -> Select Command Prompt (Admin) [Windows 8/8.1]
- Type “format i: /FS:FAT32” without the quotes, where i is replaced with whatever the USB drive is, be sure to get the right drive.
- Press enter and it should start formatting, but it will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive.
- Create a folder on the USB stick, and place all videos into this folder. It doesn’t need to be called PS4, just needs to be a folder, else you won’t see anything.
- Audio needs to be in a folder called Music.
- You can now go into the Media Player and select the USB stick from the list to watch your videos. Media Servers on your network will also be listed here i.e. Plex etc. Source: Here.